Sunday, April 3, 2016

Thing 3: Online Communities & Personal Learning Networks

Thing 3:  Online Communities & Personal Learning Networks

Twitter is very new to me and somewhat intimidating.  I was planning on doing Option 1:  Note ready to join Twitter?  Then simply explore instead.  Then a couple of weeks ago I was talking with one of my principals and he asked me to send him a link to the library book fair, so that he could send it out on Twitter.  I then said to him that I was currently working on a module for my online class that involved using Twitter.  He told me that he uses Twitter a lot, that it is a great way for instant professional development.  Then he told me to search for his Twitter account and he would make it so that I could follow his list for professional development sources.  Therefore, I now feel obligated to do Option 2:  I'm ready to join!, so that I do not disappoint my principal.  Those administrators are
always great to push us out of our comfort zones to be better educators!!! :)

I now have a Twitter account and I have used it to explore tlchat, edchat, and slscooltools.  All of these are great!  I especially enjoyed tlchat.  Just going through quickly, I found great information on makerspaces, book lists, ebooks, etc.  Immediately, I found two quick ideas that I will use in the next month in my library.  My question is this, is there a way to bookmark(used this term, but not quite sure if it is the correct term) a great tweet that I find, so that it is easy to go back to it later?

I did begin following my principal, Joyce Valenza, and Library Girl.  They all look like they have interesting tweets and good information.  I know that I can't "follow" tlchat, but is there a way to once again bookmark it somewhere on my Twitter homepage?  I am afraid that I won't remember the name of it, if it is not noted somewhere on the page.  Also, already I have a few friends and family following me.  I really want to use this as a professional tool, not a personal social tool.  Is there a way to make this happen?




1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a great way to get started on twitter. Love the support your principal gave you. If you click on the heart icon under a tweet, it adds it to your list of "likes". You'll find that list on your profile page. Or under this URL: https://twitter.com/i/likes nice work!

    ReplyDelete